This class will be held on January 17, January 24, January 31, February 7 and February 14. Attendance at all five sessions is mandatory.
Got a great technology-based idea and want to turn it into a business?
Then I-Corps Site is for you!
I-Corps Site helps you transform your ideas into Commercially Viable Businesses
• Develop a value proposition and business model for your idea using the Lean Canvas.
• Interview potential customers, experts, and investors to determine if your idea is viable.
• Learn about technology commercialization from experienced mentors and program instructors.
• Get funding! Participating teams receive a$3,000 grant to develop prototypes or conduct customer and industry research.
Faculty, university students, and community inventors from the Kansas City Metro area with a technology-based idea (digital, bio-science, engineered products, healthcare, animal health, etc)
Application is required to the UMKC SBTDC program through link below. Further application materials will be necessary prior to final election into the program.
Participants are NOT required to have previous experience in business or entrepreneurship.
How does I-Corps Work?
•Commit about 10-12 hours per week to the I-Corps program beyond your regular work or academic responsibilities.
• Conduct 28 customer/industry expert interviews across 4 weeks to refine your idea.
• Complete weekly video assignments to learn the Lean Business Model Canvas method.
• Attend weekly, 3-hour I-Corps meetings across the 5 week course, where teams provide updates and:
o Discuss how their business model changed due to the past week’s interviews and learning.
o Resolve any questions from the video assignments.
o Give and receive feedback to/from other teams in a dynamic group learning experience.
• Meet with I-Corps mentors and certified instructors as needed.
I-Corps provides you with resources and support.
I-Corps participants will receive up to $3,000 for prototyping, travel to meet with industry experts and potential customers, attending industry conferences or other needs related to refining your venture’s value proposition and business model.
Thanks to the National Science Foundation, I-Corps is no cost to you.
But space is limited. Complete an application today!
Who’s on a team?
• Scientific Lead – A person who either has the idea, or has technology capability concerning the idea.
• Entrepreneurial Lead – A person who is interested in the business side of the idea and can lead the business development.
• Optionally, one or more additional members may participate who can add value to the team’s ability to assess the idea from a technical or business standpoint.